Rat Removal in Ann Arbor
Rats can easily be seen in the entire northern part of the US. Each female rat breeds every year reproducing almost about twenty young. The two very common rat types are Norway rat also known as the common rat and Black rat. These rats are mostly very nocturnal including the ones that are domesticated pets. Both these rat species can be easily found in all parts of the world. These two rats can be distinguished mostly by their appearance, for example, Norway rays generally have small eyes and ears, on the other hand, black rats are mostly smaller and lightly built than that of the Norway rats and they tend to have a very long tail when compared to their body.
Common Rat Species
Norway Rat (Common Rat)
- Appearance: These rat species are mostly black, brown or gray in color. They are large in size and their length varies from about ten to eighteen inches from nose to their tail end. Their tails are mostly hairless and are short in comparison to their body. They weigh almost about 12 oz, having short hairs and covered with small pair of ears. Their droppings are capsule-shaped and are almost about ¾ to 1 inch in length. They are very commonly known as brown rats or common rats.
- Biology:These rat species can dwell in any type of weather condition from a beautiful, busy city to a treeless, dry and deserted area. These common rats generally make their habitat on the ground, but they can be seen dwelling even in some high and protected areas such as wood stacks. These rats come out in search of food only after dusk or dawn.
- Prevention:Keeping this breed away before their invasion is the best way to prevent them from entering your house. You must keep your firewood stock away from your building structure and remove all the garbage piles in due time. Sealing all the holes that are larger than ¼ inches, and removing all the shelter sources and moisture is a great way to avoid them.
- Appearance: These rats are commonly eight to eleven inches in length from their nose to their tail end. Unlike their name, they can be of various colors, and they can weigh almost around four to twelve oz. Black rats are also known as house rats, roof rats, and ship rats.
- Biology: These rats have a huge appetite and can feed on any type of food from invertebrates to fruits. They mostly prefer high dwelling places such as upper stories of buildings or roofs. They are very adaptive by nature and can create a nuisance in no time.
- Prevention: Sealing all noticeable holes is the best way to rodents especially these black rats away. These rats can squeeze through very tight spaces even as small as a nickel, thus sealing all crevices, holes, and cracks are the only option to get rid of them. Homeowners must make sure that their building has a proper drainage system and must install devices or gutters that can help in the flowing of water far away from the building.
Diseases Caused By Rats
Rats are very dirty in nature and are unwanted guests carrying thousands of diseases and germs. They are also capable of introducing various disease-carrying bacteria and parasites like ticks and fleas inside your house. Scratches caused by rats, their bites and their urine are very much responsible for the transmission of different diseases such as hantavirus, rat-bite fever, leptospirosis, etc causing fatal damage to humans including kidney or liver failure. Knowing the way these rodents infest can be the primary step to a proper rodent pest control. If rats infestation is more, always call a professional rat exterminator for help.
Possible Signs Of Rat Infestation
- Nesting: Dwelling places of rats are generally found in dry and warms places in the house like under the stoves, refrigerators, or dishwashers. The materials used for nesting includes furniture, grass, fabric, twigs, and cotton.
- Urine: Their greasy looking urine puddles or trails of stain on baseboards and walls are another great indicator of their presence. Rat urine is noticed generally in small and enclosed rooms with high humidity and has a strong and musty smell.
- Chewing Evidence: Rats can bite and gnaw through almost all types of materials except metals, strong plastics or glass. If chew identification marks are found in pet food boxes, snack boxes or other types of food items then you can be sure about mouse or rat infestation.
- Droppings: Their droppings are the best indicator of their presence. Their dropping sizes can vary in between half an inch to three-quarter inches and can be found in any part of the house.
We at Ann-Arbor-Pest-Control.com are the most professional and the best among all other pest control companies in Ann Arbor. We can serve you by creating the best pest control in your house or office that might help in eliminating threats caused by these rats. Do find us on Google and give us a buzz by searching pest control near me to learn more about rat pest control cost and all other stuff.